Children traveling without Parents
Children traveling without parents can travel into and out from the country and transit in Thailand. For further information, please contact the airline’s customer service department at the airports.
Additional information: (information from http://www.thaiairways.co.th Since there may be some changes to this information, please contact the airline you travel with in advance.)
The criteria for a child traveling alone are as follows:
- The guardian must inform the airline at least 24 hours prior to flight departure because the airline limits the number of children traveling alone as follows. In Royal First Class/Royal Silk Class, the airline accepts only one child aged 8-11 years old. In Economy Class, the airline accepts not more than 6 children aged 5-7 years old or not more than 30 children aged 8-11 years old in each flight.
- The guardian must inform the child’s details including the name and surname, the age and date of birth, gender, the flight, the departing airport, and the arriving airport. The name, address, and contact number of the guardian who sends the child at the departing airport and the name, address, and contact number of the guardian who picks up the child at the arriving airport must also be informed. All details must be filled in on the "Handling Advice for Unaccompanied Minor” form (FORM THAI 1122) as evidence.
- The person who picks up the child at the arriving airport must be the same person as the name informed at the Selling Office.
- The type of ticket used must be "Confirm” and must not be "ID” ticket. However, the rewarded ticket from ROP (Royal Orchid Plus) is eligible.
- The parents or guardian cannot go back home immediately. They must remain at the airport until the flight departs.
- Infants or children under 5 years old cannot be UM, except the case that the infant or the child is accompanied by a person aged 12 years old or more.
The handling fee for a child traveling alone is 30 USD or 1,350 Baht for one international flight (means the travel from the departing airport to the arriving airport, regardless of the number of sectors that flight has). If children traveling without parents have the same surname, the handling fee will be charged for one child only. There is no handling fee on domestic routes.
For international flights, the applicable adult fare according to the age of the child/UM will be charged. For domestic flights, fifty percent (50%) of the adult normal full fare will be charged.
In the case of a child aged 12-16 years old travelling alone, the parents or guardian can also require special assistance like children/UM (YP: Young Passenger).
For children, the airline staff will provide assistance in every matter, such as help carrying baggage, suggest them how to wear the seat belt, take care of them during meals, take them to toilets, fill in the immigration form, talk to them, and give them toys. Upon arrival at the destination, Purser or In-flight Manager will transfer the children to ground staff at that airport. The ground staff will take care of the children until their guardians pick them up.